Previous Society Events and Lectures
This page is under construction and will contain information and articles about previous lectures and visits the Society has made.
2016 Lectures and Visits:
- 14th January – evening lecture, “Mammoths in the Great Ouse Valley”. Dr Chris Thomas
- 11th February – evening lecture, “Roman Roads in Huntingdonshire and Peterborough: an aerial perspective”. Mr Rick Kelly.
- 10th March – evening lecture, “Revising Pevsner” Dr Charles O’Brien
- 23rd March – afternoon visit to Must Farm, Bronze Age site, archaeological excavation of one of the most important Bronze Age sites near Peterborough.
- 14th April – evening lecture, “Religious Life in mid-Victorian Huntingdonshire”, Professor David Thompson
- 13th May to 16th May, Society long weekend visiting “The Castles of Kent”.
- 26th May – Society AGM and the chance to view the recently purchased 16th Century map of Little Gidding.
- 7th June – visit to the Church of St Mary’s, Conington and the turf maze at Hilton.
- 5th July – visit to Pepys House and Hinchingbrooke House.
- 11th August – visit to Lincoln Castle and Cathedral.
- 7th September – visit to Woburn Abbey and gardens.
- 13th October – evening lecture “Excavation of the Spitfire at Holme Fen”, Anthony Haskins, archaeologist at Oxford Archaeology East.
- 10th November – Goodliff Awards 2016 and President’s Lecture, “The four disasters that made London what it is today”, Dr Simon Thurley.
- 8th December – Christmas Musical Evening and Social. An evening with the “Tapestry Singers” in the Assembly Room at Huntingdon Town Hall.
2015 Lectures and Visits:
- 8th January – evening lecture, “The Lost Forests of Medieval Huntingdonshire”, Jason Peters
- 12th February – evening lecture, “Parochial Tyranny? The Village Constable in 17th & 18th-century Huntingdonshire”, Dr Evelyn Lord.
- 12th March – evening lecture, “The Huntingdonshire Manor and its Records”, Dr Philip Saunders.
- 9th April – evening lecture, “The Secrets Behind your Front Door”, Melanie Backe-Hansen.
- 8th May to 11th May, Society long weekend visiting Shropshire.
- 21st May – Annual General Meeting in the Huntingdon Town Hall
- 27th June – visit to the area ‘In and Around Kings Cross, London’.
- 22nd July – visit to Castor House, a classic Queen Anne house and gardens
- 20th August – visit to Ramsey Walled Garden, Mortuary Chapel and Rural Museum
- 8th September – visit to Molesworth Church and Catworth
- 15th October, 2015 President’s Address, Dr Simon Thurley, “The English Market Town, past, present and future”, and Goodliff Awards presentation.
- 12th November – evening lecture, “450 Years of Education in Huntingdonshire”, Mr Peter Downes.
- 7th December – Christmas Musical Evening and Social, an evening with Hinchingbrooke School Music Group in the Assembly Room at Huntingdon Town Hall.