Afternoon, Thursday 14th July, St Kyneburgha’s Church, Castor and nearby Roman Remains
This is a massive Norman church with fabulous decoration, that the building alone with its unique dedication to a Mercian abbess itself beckons the local historian to know better, but we are privileged to take up an invitation from Dr Stephen Upex, authority on the Roman Nene Valley, to guide us round the nearby Roman site and give us a talk in the church about the palatial Hadrianic building that was excavated by dmund Artis (1789 – 1847) and other archaeological aspects of the site. Stephen is planning to show us some of Artis’s original drawings and will also have a suprise for us connecting Artis with an important contemporary.
Antonia Pounsett of the Friends of St Kyneburgha’s is kindly organising tea.coffee and cakes for us afterwards
Meet at 2’30pm at church (Turn off Peterborough Road in vaiilage to park in entreance road to the church)
Cost £12 (includes refreshments). Book by Thursday 7th July, email booking form to David Smith (email@example.com). Please pay in advance by cheque, Bank transfer (contact David for BACS details) or pay, correct money, on the day
Maximum 25 persons
Excursion Notes :
- Note especially the ‘Book By’ deadline. Early booking is helpfu. However, do telephone if you are able to come at the last minute. Where possible we will accept you. Any late bookings contact David Smith (07886 640177)
- We are not providing an coach excursions this year as we thught covid concerns would keep interest in coach trips below what we need to make them viable, which has itself risen due to higher fuel costs. But please tell us if you miss coach excursions and wuld come on one despite higher cost
- If you need a lift please let us know and we will try and arrange.
- Non-members guests are very welcome
- The Society undertakes to make arrangements for the excursions but cannot accept liability for any mishap or loss connected with them.